Please note sufficient ID is required and on occasions supplementary ID may be required. One piece of ID can only be used once.

If you are unable to provide enough ID from the list below, please email to advise and other options can be discussed with one of our Voluntary Services Manager.

Please complete the checklist and bring the original documents with you to your interview. These ID documents are necessary to volunteer within the NHS and to apply for a DBS certificate. If possible, it would be of great assistance if all documentation could be sourced and emailed prior to interview.

Please note, copies will need to be taken before you start your voluntary placement and stored securely in your records. You will need to provide one of the following combinations:

  1. Two forms of photographic personal identification from List 1, and one document confirming your current residing address from List 2
  2. One form of photographic personal identification from List 1, and two documents confirming your current residing address from List 2

ID requirements

List 1: examples of photographic personal identity documents

  • full, signed UK (Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Irish) passport or other nationalities passport*
  • UK Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card*
  • UK full or provisional photo card driving licence (if issued by the DVLA you are not required to see the paper counterpart. Licences issued in Northern Ireland by the DVA must be presented with the paper counterpart). Driving licence can have a previous/alternative address on**
  • other nationalities photo card driving licence (valid up to 12 months from the date when the individual entered the UK. The person checking the document must be able to assure themselves that the licence is bona fide)
  • HM Armed Forces Identity card (UK)
  • identity cards carrying the PASS (Proof of Age Standards Scheme) accreditation logo (issued in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man only). Organisation identity cards are not acceptable, as they do not contain watermarks, holograms or other security markings
  • EEA government issued identity cards that comply with Council Regulation (EC) No 2252/2004, containing a biometric

Non-UK nationals wishing to volunteer in the NHS can confirm their right to work through the Home Office online checking portal.

The online service supports checks in respect of those who hold:

  • a biometric residence permit
  • a biometric residence card
  • status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • status under the points-based immigration system
  • a British National Overseas (BNO) visa
  • a frontier workers permit

‘Right to work share code‘ can be used to verify right to work documents, this can be beneficial as it may speed up the recruitment process, if you have one please provide it. By doing this, you are granting permission for the Trust to check your right to work.

Share code: Where individuals choose not to have their right to work status verified online, employers must obtain manual checks.

*Guidance on immigration status documents can be found in the right to work check standard which is available on the NHS Employers website.

**If presented with a UK photo card driving licence, and it is relevant to the position you are recruiting to, employers may access information about any entitlements and/or endorsements by carrying out an online check using the DVLA's share driving licence service, which can be found on the website.

Permission must be sought from licence holder to access this information, as they will need to go onto their account to generate a temporary code, this can then be shared with their prospective employer and used to carry out the online check. The check code is valid for up to 21 days.

List 2: examples of confirmation of address documents

  • utility bill or letter from the service provider confirming the pre-payment terms of services at a fixed address (for example, gas, water, electricity or landline telephone). More than one than one utility bill can be accepted if they are from two different suppliers. Utility bills in joint names are also acceptable. (UK)*
  • local authority tax statement. For example, a council tax statement. (UK and Channel Islands)**
  • UK full or provisional photo-card driving licence with current address on and if not being presented as a form of personal photographic identity
  • full old-style paper driving licences (that were issued before the photo card was introduced in 1998 and where they remain current and in date). Old-style paper provisional driving licences should not be accepted
  • HM Revenue and Customs tax notification (HMRC) tax notification such as, an assessment, statement of account, or notice of coding** (not P45/P60)
  • a financial statement such as bank, building society, credit card statement, pension or endowment statement (UK)*
  • bank or building society statement from countries outside of the UK. Branch must be located in the country in which the applicant lives and works*
  • credit union statement (UK)*
  • mortgage statement from a recognised lender (UK)**
  • evidence of entitlement to Department for Work and Pensions benefits, such as child allowance, pension etc (UK)**

*All documents must be dated within the last three months, unless there is good reason for it not to be.

**All documents must be dated within the last 12 months. If not denoted, the document can be more than 12 months old.

For volunteers applying for posts that require a DBS certificate, and have lived outside the UK within the last five years, it will also be necessary for the applicant to produce a ‘Good Conduct Certificate’ or ‘Police Registration Document’ from any/each country that has been lived in for a period of 6 months or over in this timescale. Guidance on this can be given at interview.

Once you have received your DBS certificate, please advise your Volunteer Manager/Volunteer Administrator. 

You can also join the updating service online within 14 days of you receiving your  certificate, which allows for it to be transferable between organisations.

Contact the Voluntary Service Team

If you have any questions or need any further information, please email us on or phone 01273 242 292.

To access more information about this resource and the service related to it, you can review the related resources below.

Volunteer Workforce
Find out about health screening and immunisations for SCFT volunteers.
Volunteer privacy policy
Read our Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust volunteer privacy policy.
Volunteer agreement
Our volunteer agreement sets out the expectations of the Trust and our volunteers.

Related pages

Request an alternative format

The Trust provide resources in alternative formats, including language translations, large print, braille, easy-read format or on audio tape. Please contact the Communications and Engagement Team at if you require this resource in another format.