Content Owners: Public Content Review Period: 6 Months Show Review Info: Yes

Where to get help

Immediate action required: In an emergency

Go to your nearest A&E or call 999 for an ambulance if you need immediate help.

For minor injuries and illnesses

Many minor injuries and illnesses can be handled at Minor Injury Units (MIUs) or Urgent Treatment Centres (UTCs) across Sussex. 

Alternatively, you can call 111 or get help from 111 online.

For severe and life-threatening emergencies

Accident and emergency (A&E) is for serious injuries and life-threatening emergencies. 

These are things like: 

  • Loss of consciousness 
  • Acute confused state and fits that are not stopping 
  • Chest pain 
  • Breathing difficulties 
  • Severe bleeding that cannot be stopped 
  • Severe allergic reactions 
  • Severe burns or scalds 
  • Stroke 
  • Major trauma and accidents such as a road traffic accident 

If you need help now, but it’s not an emergency

Go to or call 111.

Make the right choice

Sore throat, cuts and grazes, hangovers, headaches

Treat minor issues at home

Coughs, colds, tummy trouble, rashes, aches and pains

See a pharmacist

Persistent symptoms and long-term conditions

Speak to your GP practice

Not sure where to go or what do?

Visit or call 111

Sprains, burns and minor fractures

Visit your local MIUs/UTCs

Serious or life-threatening emergencies like chest pain

Go to A&E or call 999

Page last reviewed: 11 March 2024
Next review due: 11 September 2024