Self-management tutors are vital to the success of the Self-management Programme. Self-management tutors make a real difference to people living with a long-term health condition. Volunteering can be very rewarding and a great confidence booster.
Essential criteria for becoming a Self-management Tutor are:
1. To be living with a long term health condition
2. To have completed a Self-management Living Well course
If the above criteria are met, then a Volunteer Tutor Application Form must be completed.
Questions to consider if you are thinking about applying to become a Self-management Tutor:
1. What is my motivation?
2. Am I a good listener?
3. Can I commit to delivering at least 2 courses a year?
4. How much experience do I have in self-managing my own condition?
5. Am I able to role model good self-management?
6. Can I work with a small group of people and build a rapport with them?
7. Have I already explored / dealt with my own feelings about having a chronic condition?
8. Will I be able to accept and build on feedback from others?
9. Am I ready to learn new ways of approaching long-term health conditions?
10. Can I facilitate rather than dominate?
11. Do I feel I am an effective communicator?
12. Am I able to deliver from a scripted manual?
13. Do I have the time available to attend 4 days of training?
14. Am I adaptable to working with different people?
15. Am I able and willing to complete routine administration and basic financial records after each course?
16. If you think you may have what it takes to be a Volunteer Self-Management Tutor then please apply now.