Compliments, comments, concerns and complaints

If you would like to report any issues regarding our services or the care you have received, please let us know so we can make improvements. Our Trust takes its commitment to you seriously and would like to hear your feedback.

Do you need advice and support?

You can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). PALS is a free, confidential NHS service for patients, carers, families and members of the public.

The PALS service provides an accessible, approachable route to sorting out concerns that patients, carers or family members may have with the NHS. Often, people do not want to make a "formal complaint", they want to find out what happened, an apology, or just to be heard.

PALS staff will talk through the problems, and help to resolve them quickly and informally.
An important part of solving problems is to collect the information and feed it back into the Trust to highlight problem areas and potential difficulties, and work with staff to change and shape services.

Contact PALS:

B Block, Brighton General Hospital
Elm Grove, Brighton
Tel: 01273 242292

Or download and return our print friendly PALS Leaflet (Easy read PALS leaflet) to us.


We would also like to hear if you think we have done particularly well. 


We welcome your views on our services in order for us to move forward in improving our services to provide the best possible patient care.  There are also many other ways for you to be involved with the Trust.

Concerns and Complaints

Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust has procedure for formal complaints. You can contact any member of staff in the Trust in order to lodge your complaint.

A complaint can be made face to face, by phone, email, online or in a letter:

B Block, Brighton General Hospital
Elm Grove, Brighton
Tel: 01273 242292
Online feedback form

The Trust aims to resolve all complaints as swiftly as possible; this process is called Local Resolution. In line with our formal complaint process, we will contact you to discuss your concerns and agree a plan for resolving them. We will also agree a realistic timescale in which to investigate and respond to your concerns. We know it is important that you are part of this resolution process and kept regularly updated with the progress of our investigation. Our staff will ensure you are regularly consulted.

The Department of Health provide more information on the legislation behind the NHS complaints procedure on their official website.

What if I remain unhappy about the investigation?

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the local resolution process you may ask the Parliamentary and Health service Ombudsman to consider your complaint. 

Parlimentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
London SW1P 4QP
Complaints Helpline
Tel: 0845 015 4033

You can contact the Parlimentary and Health Service Ombudsman for more information about making complaints at

A free, confidential service is available if you need help in making your complaint:

For residents of Brighton and Hove contact:
Helpline: 01273 229002
Wesbite address:

For residents of West Sussex contact:
The Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service
Call: 0300 012 0122