Answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding Foundation Trusts. Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust was authorised as a Foundation Trust on 1 April 2016.
D) What are the benefits of becoming an NHS foundation trust?
What are the benefits of becoming an NHS foundation trust?
Benefits that will come from obtaining NHS foundation trust status include:
- Becoming a membership organisation will help us to extend the range of work we do, and provide a new way to engage and hear the views of our patients, their families and the general public. As an NHS foundation trust, there are formal structures to involve and engage with our local community and other stakeholders. We will also seek new ways to actively engage young people and their families in our decision making.
- We will be more responsive to emerging needs in our local health economy and the communities we serve.
- Greater financial flexibility will allow us to seek wider funding options for our work and support our vision to put excellent care at the heart of the community.
- By maintaining our independence as a standalone NHS community trust with a clear focus on community care.
- We aim to become an NHS foundation trust by autumn 2014.